A twist on the classic Persian white bean stew, this easy-to-make dish has a lovely depth of flavour from the baharat spice blend, enriched with tomatoes to give a nice slurpable base. Homely and hearty, this satisfying stew is pepped up by a lemony coriander oil that is spooned on top to serve.
- 3 tbsp Rapeseed oil
- 2 onions, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 tsp baharat spice blend
- 50g fresh coriander, stalk and leaves finely chopped
- 135g Farm Fresh Tomato Paste
- 2 x 400g Farm Fresh Premium Chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- Salt to taste
- 1 Heat a large, heavy-based saucepan over medium-low heat.
- 2 Once hot, add three tablespoons of oil, the onions, salt, spices and coriander stalks.
- 3 Cook gently, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes, until soft and dark. Be careful, as you don’t want the onions or spices to burn.
- 4 When the mix is soft and fragrant, add in the tomato paste/ tinned tomatoes, beans and 200ml water (400ml if using tomato paste). Bring to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes.
- 5 In a bowl, mix two tablespoons of rapeseed oil, the chopped coriander leaves, lemon juice, and a good pinch of salt.
- 6 To serve, divide the stew between four bowls and top with a generous spoonful of the coriander and lemon oil.